The recommended dosage of Toviaz for the treatment of an overactive bladder is 4 mg once daily. If your symptoms do not improve, your healthcare provider may increase your dosage to 8 mg once daily. For people who have severe kidney problems or are taking certain other medications that increase the drug levels in your blood, the maximum recommended dose is 4 mg once daily.
The dose of Toviaz™ (fesoterodine fumarate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Toviaz
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose of Toviaz for overactive bladder treatment is Toviaz 4 mg once daily. If your symptoms are not adequately controlled at this dose, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to 8 mg once daily. In studies, the higher dosage was generally more likely to cause side effects; some people may not tolerate this dose well.
If you have severe kidney problems or are taking certain other medications that increase the level of Toviaz in your blood, the maximum recommended dose is Toviaz 4 mg once daily (see Toviaz Drug Interactions for more information). Make sure your healthcare provider and pharmacist has a complete list of all the medications you take.
Considerations for people taking Toviaz include the following:
- Toviaz comes in extended-release tablet form. It is taken just once a day.
- Because this is an extended-release medication, it should be swallowed whole with liquids. Do not break, chew, or crush the tablets.
- You can take Toviaz on an empty stomach or with food. If it seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Toviaz should be taken at the same time each day, in order to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Toviaz dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.