As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Oxytrol. Overdose symptoms may include blurred vision, dry eyes or mouth, difficulty passing urine, and dilated pupils. Treatment for an Oxytrol overdose may involve removing all patches and treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Starting in September 2013, Oxytrol patches will be available without a prescription and will be sold under the name "Oxytrol for Women" to treat women over age 18 with overactive bladder. The prescription version will still be available. It is unclear how this will affect the price and insurance coverage for Oxytrol.
Oxytrol Overdose: An Introduction
Oxytrol® (oxybutynin patch) is a prescription medication used for treating overactive bladder symptoms. It belongs to a group of drugs known as anticholinergic medications. The effects of an Oxytrol overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the Oxytrol dosage and whether it is taken with other medicines, alcohol, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Oxytrol, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of an Oxytrol Overdose
As an anticholinergic medication, Oxytrol is prone to causing a certain group of side effects (known as anticholinergic side effects), which may be more severe if too much of the drug is taken. These side effects include:
- Blurred vision
- Severe constipation
- Difficulty passing urine
- Dilated (wide open) pupils
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Increased pressure within the eyes.
Treatment for an Oxytrol Overdose
The treatment for an Oxytrol overdose will vary. All Oxytrol patches should be removed immediately. Treatment will also consist of supportive care. For instance, if an overdose caused a rapid heart rate, then supportive treatment would include medications to decrease the heart rate.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Oxytrol.