Incontinence Home > Gelnique
Gelnique is a medication used to treat an overactive bladder. This prescription medication comes in the form of a skin gel and works by blocking certain receptors in the bladder. This helps relax the bladder muscles and reduce the uncontrollable bladder contractions that cause symptoms of an overactive bladder. Possible side effects include a dry mouth, urinary tract infections, and skin reactions at the application site.
What Is Gelnique?Gelnique™ (oxybutynin gel) is a prescription medication approved to treat an overactive bladder. It is unique as the first overactive bladder medication to be available in the form of a skin gel.
How Does Gelnique Work?Gelnique belongs to a group of drugs known as antimuscarinic or anticholinergic medications. The drug works for bladder problems by blocking specific receptors (called muscarinic receptors) in the bladder, helping to relax the muscles of the bladder. Because an overactive bladder is often due to bladder muscle contractions that are too frequent and uncontrollable, Gelnique can help relieve many symptoms of bladder problems.
- This medication comes in the form of a gel that is applied to the skin. One packet of the gel is applied once a day.
- Apply the gel to dry, clean skin on the abdomen, upper arms, shoulders, or thighs. Try to rotate the application sites so that you do not apply the gel to the same spot twice in a row.
- When applying the gel to the abdomen, it is important to avoid the area just around the navel.
- Rub the gel into the skin until it dries. Then wash your hands with soap and water and discard the empty packet out of the reach of children and pets.
- For one hour after applying the gel, avoid bathing, swimming, showering, exercising, or immersing the application site in water.
- Make sure to apply the gel at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.