Ditropan XL Dosage
The recommended Ditropan XL dosage for adults with an overactive bladder is 5 to 10 mg once a day. For children six years old and over, the usual starting dose is 5 mg once daily. If needed, Ditropan XL dosing can be increased to 30 mg once daily (for adults) or 20 mg once daily (for children) if your overactive bladder symptoms do not improve.
The dose of Ditropan XL® (oxybutynin ER) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Ditropan XL
- Your age
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Ditropan XL dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting Ditropan XL dose for overactive bladder treatment is 5 to 10 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to Ditropan XL 30 mg once daily to control your overactive bladder symptoms.
The recommended starting Ditropan XL dose for children age six years and over with bladder problems due to neurological disorders (such as spina bifida) is 5 mg once daily. If necessary, your child's healthcare provider may slowly increase the dose up to Ditropan XL 20 mg once daily.
Considerations for people taking Ditropan XL include the following:
- Ditropan XL comes in tablet form. It is taken just once a day.
- It does not matter if you take Ditropan XL with food or on an empty stomach. If the drug seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Ditropan XL tablets are long-acting and must be swallowed whole. Do not crush, break, cut, or chew Ditropan XL tablets.
- Because the outer shells of Ditropan XL tablets do not dissolve, you may notice them in your stool. This is normal and does not decrease the effectiveness of Ditropan XL in any way.
- Ditropan XL should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Ditropan XL dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.