For the treatment of overactive bladder symptoms, the recommended Detrol dosage is 2 mg twice a day. Certain people may require a lower daily dosage, such as those who develop side effects or who have kidney or liver disease. To maintain an even level of the medication in your blood, make sure to take your Detrol dose at the same time each day.
The dose of Detrol® (tolterodine tartrate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to Detrol
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Detrol dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Detrol Dosage for Bladder ProblemsThe recommended starting dose of Detrol for overactive bladder treatment is 2 mg twice daily. However, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose (Detrol 1 mg twice daily) if you experience bothersome Detrol side effects, if you have kidney or liver disease, or if you are taking certain medications (see Detrol Drug Interactions).
Considerations for people taking Detrol include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth twice daily.
- You can take Detrol with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Detrol should be taken at the same times each day in order to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Detrol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Detrol dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.