Detrol LA Warnings and Precautions
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Detrol LA include the following:
- The medication may make glaucoma worse. If you have glaucoma and take Detrol LA, your healthcare provider may need to monitor you more closely.
- The kidneys and liver help to remove Detrol LA from your body. If you have kidney or liver disease, you may require extra monitoring by your healthcare provider and may need to take a lower Detrol LA dosage.
- In studies, high doses of Detrol LA (twice the usual dose) increased the risk of a potentially dangerous irregular heart rhythm called QT prolongation. If you already have an arrhythmia (especially long QT syndrome), it is possible that Detrol LA may make it worse.
- If you have a condition known as myasthenia gravis, make sure to check with your healthcare provider before taking Detrol LA, as this medication can worsen the condition.
- Detrol LA can cause blurred vision, dizziness, and drowsiness. Be sure to see how Detrol LA affects you before driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Detrol LA may potentially interact with a number of other medications (see Detrol LA Drug Interactions).
- Detrol LA is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe for use during pregnancy, although the full risks are not known (see Detrol LA and Pregnancy).
- It is not known whether Detrol LA passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to taking the drug (see Detrol LA and Breastfeeding).