General considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Detrol LA comes in capsule form. It is taken just once a day.
- You can take it on an empty stomach or with food. If the drug seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Detrol LA should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because Detrol LA is an extended-release medication, it should be swallowed whole with liquids. Do not open, chew, or crush the capsules.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Detrol LA that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Detrol LA
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Detrol LA Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Detrol LA. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Detrol LA include, but are not limited to:
- Dry mouth (see Detrol LA and Dry Mouth)
- Constipation (see Detrol LA and Constipation)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain).
(Click Detrol LA Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects that you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)