Detrol LA Dosage
The recommended Detrol LA dosage when treating an overactive bladder is 4 mg once daily. If you develop any side effects or have liver or kidney disease, however, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose, such as Detrol LA 2 mg. For the medication to work properly, Detrol LA dosing guidelines must be followed as prescribed.
The dose of Detrol® LA (tolterodine ER) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Detrol LA
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Detrol LA dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Detrol LA Dosage for an Overactive BladderThe recommended starting dose of Detrol LA for overactive bladder treatment is 4 mg once daily. However, your healthcare provider may recommend a lower dose (Detrol LA 2 mg) if you have liver or kidney disease, if you are taking certain medications (see Detrol LA Drug Interactions), or if you experience bothersome Detrol LA side effects.
Considerations for people taking Detrol LA include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form. It is taken just once a day.
- You can take Detrol LA on an empty stomach or with food. If the medication seems to bother your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Detrol LA should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because Detrol LA is an extended-release medication, it should be swallowed whole with liquids. Do not open, chew, or crush the capsules.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Detrol LA will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Detrol LA dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.