People who have an overactive bladder may receive Anturol to help relieve many symptoms of bladder problems. This prescription medication comes in the form of a gel that is applied directly on the skin once daily. It works by blocking certain receptors in the bladder, helping to relax the muscles. Possible side effects may include dry mouth and reactions at the application site.
What Is Anturol?Anturol® (oxybutynin gel) is a prescription medication approved to treat an overactive bladder. It contains the same active ingredient that has long been available in tablet form for overactive bladder treatment. It is thought that providing the medication through a gel may help reduce some of the bothersome side effects of oxybutynin.
How Does Anturol Work?Anturol belongs to a group of drugs known as antimuscarinic or anticholinergic medications. The drug works for bladder problems by blocking specific receptors in the bladder, called muscarinic receptors, helping to relax the muscles of the bladder. Because an overactive bladder is often due to muscle contractions that are too frequent and uncontrollable, Anturol can help relieve many symptoms of bladder problems.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Anturol include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a gel that is applied to the skin once a day.
- Apply the gel to dry, clean skin on the abdomen (stomach), upper arms, shoulders, or thighs.
- When applying Anturol to the abdomen (stomach), it is important to avoid the area just around the navel (belly button).
- Apply the gel right away, and then wash your hands with soap and water. After it is dry, make sure to cover the area with clothing if direct skin-to-skin contact with another individual is anticipated.
- Avoid bathing, swimming, showering, exercising, or immersing the application site in water for at least one hour after applying the gel.
- Apply Anturol at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.